The initial step in this procedure is to conduct a body scan. Each muscle in your body will be relaxed one at a time.
- To begin, relax the muscles in your face, including those in your forehead, around your eyes, jaw, and tongue.
- Next, relax your shoulders and muscles by releasing them.
- Relax the muscles in your upper arm, lower arm, and hand with your emphasis on your right arm. Carry out the same motion with your left arm.
- Take a big breath in and relax your chest.
- Then relax your leg muscles on both sides. Relax your thighs first, then your knees, shins, and finally your feet from top to bottom.
It’s time for a show, or rather, a visualisation, now that all of your muscles are relaxed. Close your eyes and picture one of the scenarios below. Choose the one that stands out the most to you:
- You’re in a pitch-dark room, lying in a black hammock.
- You’re floating on the water in a canoe, reclining on your back. The sea seems quiet, and the sky is bright blue above you. There isn’t a single cloud in the sky.
- Repeat the phrase “don’t think, don’t think, don’t think” in your thoughts for ten seconds.
Don’t give up if this doesn’t work immediately away. It may take up to six weeks to perfect this trick, but it will become easier over time. So go ahead and continue! You might also try different relaxing visualisations. Pretend you’re in a sunny meadow or on a peaceful beach where the waves gently lap at the shore.